Work placements, study abroad and extending your Tier 4 visa

If you have a confirmed offer for a work placement as an assessed part of your current course, or if you will be undertaking a study abroad year, it is likely that you will need to apply for further time on your Tier 4 visa as a result.

It was previously the case that you were required to return to your home country or country or normal residence to apply for your new Tier 4 visa. However UKVI decided that from 11 January 2018 you can make your new Tier 4 application in the UK to extend your visa to undertake your work placement or study abroad year.

From 6th July 2018 UKVI policy confirms that you can make your new Tier 4 application to extend your visa either before your work placement/study abroad year commences, or after your work placement/study abroad year ends. There is no longer the requirement to obtain your new Tier 4 visa before the work placement/study abroad year commences. 

To make your application, you will require a new CAS. For further information and guidance on the procedure for requesting a new CAS refer to the extending your visa in the UK page. Guidance regarding applying for your new Tier 4 visa is also listed on this web page.

Please complete and return this CAS request form and email it to the International Student Office to request your new CAS.  

Once you have received your new CAS, please ensure that you visit the International Student Office enquiry desk to book an appointment for your application and documents to be checked by an Adviser before they are submitted. 

Please be aware that payment of a mandatory Immigration Health Surcharge must now also be made when you apply for your new Tier 4 visa online, at a cost of £150 for each year of the visa you will be issued.

If you have any questions or concerns about making your Tier 4 application then please contact the International Student Advice team:

Tel: 0113 343 3930
Drop-in: 10.30am Monday - Friday