Police registration

When you arrive in Leeds, you may need to register with the police, depending on where you've come from and how long you'll be here.

If you have a passport from a Commonwealth or EC country then you don't usually have to register with the police but you should check for specific instructions printed on your visa, BRP or decision letter; if it says “Register/Report to Police”, “Pol. Registration” or similar, you must register with the police.

If you're from one of the following countries you'll need to register with the police: 

Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belarus, Bolivia, Brazil, China, Colombia, Cuba, Egypt, Georgia, Hong Kong, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Libya, Moldova, Morocco, North Korea, Oman, Palestine, Peru, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Yemen.

You're only required to register with the police if you have been given permission to stay in the UK for more than six months.

When should I register with the police?

You should register with the police as soon as possible after you arrive in the UK. West Yorkshire Police give you up to 30 days to register with them at Pudsey Police Station.

If you're staying somewhere else in the UK before coming to Leeds, you should register at the nearest police station within seven days of arriving in the UK. You must then report your change of address to the West Yorkshire Police Overseas Registration Office at Pudsey Police Station within seven days of your arrival in Leeds.

Registering with the police at the police station

You can only register at the Overseas Registration Office at Pudsey Police Station, which is a short distance outside of Leeds.

You'll need to collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) first, as this is one of the documents you'll need for police registration.

The address for the Overseas Registration Office is:

Overseas Registration Office
Pudsey Police Station
Dawsons Corner
Bradford Road
LS28 5TA

Tel: 0113 2414917 /2414817 /2414860 /2414899

Email: PoliceRegistration@westyorkshire.pnn.police.uk

Opening hours

The Overseas Registration Office is open between 9am - 1pm and 2.15pm - 4pm on Tuesday and Wednesday only. The office can be very busy at lunch times so it's better to go either earlier or later in the day. The last registration time is at 3.30pm.

Please also see our information leaflet regarding police registration.

How to get there

Pudsey Police Station is not in Leeds city centre, so you will need to travel by bus, train or taxi.
You can travel by bus by taking the number 508 or the number 72 from Eastgate in Leeds city centre. Both buses take you very close to Dawsons Corner where the police station is located.

If you wish to travel by train, which is a longer journey than by bus, you should depart from Leeds train station to New Pudsey train station and then walk to the police station.

What do I need to take with me?

You will need to take:

  • A completed police registration form
  • Your passport
  • Your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)
  • 1 passport sized photograph
  • The administration fee of £34 cash for each passport. You will need to pay at the police station with cash only, credit/debit cards are not accepted.

The police registration certificate does not expire but costs £34 to replace if it is lost.

If your circumstances change

You must report any of the following changes to the police at Pudsey Police Station within seven working days or you risk a fine of up to £5,000:

  • Change of address*
  • Change of course, college, university or occupation
  • Change of marital status
  • New entry visa granting an extension of stay
  • Extension of stay granted in the UK
  • You are issued with a new passport
  • You have a child born in the UK.

*After you register with the police, if you change your address before you get your police registration certificate back, contact the Overseas Registration Office by email or phone to provide them with your new address.

Do I need to inform the police when I go home at the end of my stay?

Before you leave, contact the Overseas Registration Office by email or phone to tell them the reference number on your police registration certificate and the date and place of your departure.