We know that coping with the death of a friend or relative can be exceptionally difficult, particularly while you're away at university.

There's a great range of support available for you, and we can help to ensure you're able to access all the relevant and appropriate sources of assistance. 

University support

The Universities’ Chaplaincy in Leeds: experienced chaplains will listen and offer support, guidance and accompaniment to you whether you have a faith or not.

Student Counselling Centre: experienced and accredited counsellors can offer you counselling during emotionally and psychologically difficult times. The Centre offers a range of online and self-help resources. It also runs a group for students who have lost a parent.

Leeds University Union Nightline: run by students for students, trained volunteers can offer you a confidential non-advisory listening and information service overnight during term time by phone (8pm - 8am) and instant messaging (8pm - 12am).

Student Mental Health Team: mental health specialists can provide you with free and confidential support, and signpost you to other organisations.

Leeds Student Medical Practice or your GP: GPs will be able to provide a range of support services particularly if you're struggling to cope.

Student Advice Centre: based within Leeds University Union, the Centre can offer you free, confidential and impartial advice on the support services available within and outside the University.

Your school and personal tutor: your school and personal tutor will be able to provide advice, support and guidance in connection with taking time off to attend funerals and completing mitigating circumstances requests if you feel that your academic performance has been adversely affected.

Access to Learning Fund: the Access to Learning Fund can provide you with financial support to enable you to stay in Higher Education if the person who has died was helping you with your University-associated costs - particularly if you need help with costs which cannot be met from other sources of support. The Access to Learning Fund cannot help with tuition fees, University fines or debt.

International students

If you're studying in Leeds on a Tier 4 visa and you need to take a break from your course as a result of bereavement, this may impact on your right to stay in the UK. You should contact the International Student Office on level 11 of the Marjorie and Arnold Ziff Building to enquire about any visa implications.

Help from outside the University

Other organisations that may be able to support you following a bereavement include: