Setting up Your Support

In order to set up your support, you will need to complete our sign up form and provide evidence of your disability.

The sign up form will take you 5-10 minutes to complete and will ask you questions about your disability, academic requirements and any support you may have previously received. During the sign up form you will be asked to provide evidence of your disability. This evidence can also be submitted afterwards by emailing or by visiting our reception on the ground floor of the Chemistry West building.

If you are uncertain about the evidence you require, or have any questions about this, there are many ways to get in contact with us. You can call us on 0113 343 3927, email us at or attend one of our drop-in sessions with our front of house team.

Our drop-in sessions are 9.30-11am and 2-4pm Monday to Friday. We will also have extended drop-in sessions at the beginning of semester 1. Appointments are 10 minutes and are available on a first come first served basis. 

What happens next?

Once we have received your sign up form and evidence, you will receive a confirmation email from us. We aim to send this within two working days. We will then process your documents and pass this through to a Disability Coordinator in our team so they can begin setting up your support.

Your Disability Coordinator will inform you of any support put in place. Please contact your Disability Coordinator if you feel the support put in place does not meet your requirements as we may be able to make alterations to this. Contact our front of house team if you would like any further information or for an update on your progress.

Providing Evidence

In order for us to set up your support we require evidence.

Evidence of a physical or sensory disability, or a mental health condition

You will need to provide a letter from your doctor, consultant or other medical practitioner.

This should:

  • be on official headed paper
  • be as up to date as possible - this is not vital if it is a long-term or life-long condition
  • give a clear clinical diagnosis of a disability that is likely to affect your ability to do everyday, or academic, tasks
  • clearly state that your disability is long term (eg has lasted for, or is likely to last for, at least 12 months)
  • indicate the impact your disability has on your daily life and/or studies
  • be written in English

Evidence of dyslexia or other specific learning difficulties

For dyslexia or other specific learning difficulties, we require a full diagnostic report which:

  • has been carried out after the age of 16
  • has been carried out by a practitioner psychologist or a suitably qualified specialist teacher holding a current Assessment Practicing Certificate
  • is written in English
Your school SENCO may be able to help arrange this. Alternatively, you could look on the SpLD Assessment Standards Committee (SASC) website.

Insufficient or unclear evidence

Please note that the following types of documentation are not usually sufficient to access ongoing support or permanent exam arrangements at university:

• 'Form 8' JCQ forms
• 'Access Arrangement' forms
• School or exam board exam arrangement documentation where there is no clinical diagnosis
• Medical letters which do not meet the criteria set out above, or where there is no clinical diagnosis

If you are unsure about your evidence, or finding it difficult to obtain, please contact us to discuss this further: telephone 0113 343 3927 or email