Specific learning difficulties (SpLDs)

As a student with specific learning difficulties (SpLDs) we'll make sure you're able to reach your full academic potential while you're at the University.

There's a great range of support available for you, and we can help to ensure you are able to access all the relevant and appropriate sources of assistance. 

What is meant by specific learning difficulties?

Specific learning difficulties include conditions such as:

The most common of these conditions is dyslexia, and approximately 4% of university students have this diagnosis.

How might your university life be affected?

The impact of your impairment may vary depending on the tasks you're doing. As a student with specific learning difficulties you might find that you have strengths in some areas of university life and struggle with other aspects. 

What condition-specific support is available?

In addition to general equipment and support services available to all University of Leeds students affected by a disability or impairment, you can also get condition-specific help if you apply for additional funding to include:
  • one to one strategy support
  • mentoring
  • transcription services.

How can you get all the help you need?

You can:

To access some of the services you'll need to provide recent evidence of your diagnosis.

Psychological assessments for a specific learning difficulty 

If you've been advised to obtain a new psychological assessment for a specific learning difficulty, you'll have to make this appointment with non-University providers. If you've had a diagnostic assessment before you may want to contact the person who assessed you and see if they can undertake a further assessment or update the one you already have.

If you require an updated diagnostic/Psychologists assessment, you may be eligible to some financial assistance to reclaim all or part of the cost (to a maximum of £280) from the University. To find out more please contact DSAS who will be able to discuss your circumstances with you and make a referral to the Student Funding team.

The Educational Guidance Service and others can undertake full psychological assessments for specific learning difficulties.

If you're enquiring with other providers ensure they are:

  • a chartered psychologist or have an SpLD practising certificate
  • aware of the DfES/SpLD Working Party 2005 Guidelines.