Emergency situations

Advice about emergency situations, such as a natural disaster, war, civil unrest or threats to your personal security.

Immediate actions

As soon as you can after the situation arises:

  • Ensure the safety of you and those around you by raising the alarm, calling emergency services if appropriate, and following local authority advice.
  • Register with the British Embassy in your host country, telling them your whereabouts and contact details. Find British embassies and consulates abroad through the Foreign and Commonwealth Office
  • Follow Foreign and Commonwealth Office travel advice about safe and no-go areas.
  • Maintain regular contact with key people - your host university, the Study Abroad office at Leeds and your family. Keep them informed of your whereabouts and movements. Now is not the time to worry about your phone bill!
  • Check email regularly – the University of Leeds will make contact using your Leeds email address. If you have a mobile phone, tell the Study Abroad office your number and keep these numbers saved in your phone:
    • Study Abroad office: +44 113 343 7900
    • University Security Services’ emergency number: +44 113 343 2222 
  • Keep the Study Abroad emergency contacts card in your wallet or purse.
  • Keep a low profile and be cautious.
  • If possible, avoid travelling alone.
  • The University of Leeds travel and medical insurance policy includes emergency response and support. For contact numbers, see www.leeds.ac.uk/insurance/travel.htm.

Planning your response

  • Make your decision about what to do next in collaboration with embassy representatives, on-site coordinators and the Study Abroad office at Leeds.
  • Communicate all decisions to key people once action is decided on - your family, the Study Abroad office at Leeds and your host university.
  • Keep everyone informed of your whereabouts, including your arrival at a safe location.

British embassies abroad

Foreign and Commonwealth Office website (https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice) for up-to-date travel advice and government warnings.

Find British embassy or consulate contact information for individual countries here.

British embassy information for some European countries on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website: