Award of your research degree and graduation
The award of your research degree can only be confirmed once certain conditions have been met.
Your research degree can be awarded and your name published on a pass list once all the following conditions have been met:
- Your examiners' report has been approved by the Examinations Group at one if its meetings.
- Postgraduate Research & Operations has received confirmation that the internal examiner is satisfied that any corrections have been completed.
- Postgraduate Research & Operations has received one copy of the final, corrected, hard bound thesis;
- All tuition fees to the University have been paid.
- If applicable, all assessed or taught modules have been completed successfully.
AND, For doctoral students who commended study from September 2009:
- You have deposited the full text version of your eThesis in White Rose Etheses Online. Postgraduate Research & Operations will receive an automatic email notification once this has been completed.
OR, For MPhil, Mastership and doctoral candidates who commenced before Sept 2009 (not depositing an eThesis):
- You have submitted a completed thesis deposit form.
In accordance with the decision of the Graduate Board no exceptions will be permitted and the staff in Postgraduate Research & Operations have no discretion in these matters.
Please note that the date of award which appears on the final degree certificate and the Diploma Supplement and Statement is the date of the Graduate Board's Examinations Group meeting at which the report and recommendation of the examiners report was considered and approved.
Degree ceremonies are held in July and December of each year. Further information is published on the Universitys Graduation Pages. Please note attendance at a degree ceremony is not guaranteed and is subject to the award of your research degree before the ceremonies. The examination of theses can take time and the University cannot guarantee that the thesis examination process will be completed in time for the next graduation ceremony. If you do not wish to attend a ceremony, you can choose to have your degree conferred in absentia and your certificate will be posted to you.
You will need to register your graduation choice (either a ceremony or in absentia) using the online registration page. Further instructions can be found on the Universitys Graduation Pages. Registration for graduation will not be available until after you have submitted your thesis to PGR & Operations for examination, however you do not need to wait until your name has appeared on a pass list in order to register your graduation preference.
|Deadline for registering your graduation choice||Thursday 14 June 2018: Please see the graduation pages|
|Deadline for receipt of completed Examiners Reports (prepared by the examiners after the viva) in PGR & Operations||Monday 04 June 2018|
|Last Examinations Group meeting before the ceremonies||Monday 11 June 2018|
|Deadline for submission of hard bound thesis (& upload of eThesis if required)||Friday 22 June 2018*|
|Publication of final pass list before the degree ceremonies||Friday 22 June 2018|
The Universitys Print and Copy Bureau (PCB) can help with binding your thesis according to these requirements. They also offer an on-line service if you are no longer in Leeds. If you are no longer in Leeds you can make arrangements for a member of PGR & Operations to collect your hard bound thesis from PCB on your behalf. Please email the thesis examination section to make arrangements email@example.com
* Please pay particular attention to the timescales for hard binding as set out in section 8.3 of the Guide to the thesis examination process. A thesis for binding brought into Print and Copy Bureau before 12pm on a Tuesday will normally be available for collection after 3.30pm on the following Friday.
Award Statement for research degrees
If you need evidence of your research degree award, you can ask for an award statement once your name has appeared on a pass list. These are provided free of charge for the first three months after the date on which your name appeared on a pass list (this date can be found on the notification email from PGR & Ops). Postgraduate researchers should complete a Registration Statement Form at the Student Service Counter or by downloading the request form (DOC) and emailing it to firstname.lastname@example.org. This form only applies to research degree awards.
Please note that requests take 5 working days from the date of the pass list, but may take longer during busy periods.
After three months, statements are available to buy through the Universitys online store.
Please see our Guide to the thesis examination process for more detailed information about the process for pass lists and the award of your degree.