Obtaining a student ID card remotely

If you're a part time or distance learner, or on a work or study placement, it's possible to get your student ID card remotely.  

This service is not for campus based students - you should read our information on student ID cards.

New students obtaining their first student ID card

Please complete the student ID card application form

We also need a passport-style photograph and your official ID:

  • UK students - passport
  • EEA students - passport or national ID card
  • International students - passport and visa.

Submitting your official ID 

UK/EEA students 

You can scan the documents and attach them to your application form.

If you scan your ID it must be certified by a notary public, solicitor, doctor, teacher or post office member of staff. The Post Office offer a Document Certification Service

You may also combine methods (e.g. scan the photo and post the ID)

International students

You must post your original documents to us. Scans will not be accepted.

Postal address

ID Card Services
Student Support & Counter Services
Student Services Centre
Marjorie & Arnold Ziff Building
University of Leeds

When posting your original documents, send them via Royal Mail "Signed For" delivery or your country's equivalent. It will be returned by "Signed for" delivery, along with your new student ID card.

The ID card will be posted to you within 14 days of receipt of the correct documents (this might take longer during busier periods, such as September, October and January).

Please contact us if you have any queries.

Replacement cards for existing students

Please note, this service is only available for students who are not on campus during our opening times, such as some part-time or distance-learning students, or those on work/study placements and not campus based students.

Lost/stolen cards

If your lost card is handed in to the Student Services Centre, we will email you to collect it. Please check your University email account before requesting a replacement. Contact us to arrange delivery.

If your card has not been handed in, you will need to complete the student ID card application form.

You do not need to provide a new photograph or official ID documents. You will need to pay £10 for a replacement through our online store.

As there have been a number of fraudulent theft claims, this charge applies irrespective of the reason for the loss.

Expired cards

If you are a current student whose programme of study has been extended (e.g. students who have intercalated, taken a year abroad/in industry) and your student card has expired, you must return your expired card to the above address before we can issue a replacement.

You must also complete the student ID card application form. You do not need to provide a new photograph or official ID.

If you no longer have your expired card, this will be treated as a lost card and you will need to pay for a replacement.

You can find further information about student ID cards here.