Module enrolment for PGRs

As a postgraduate researcher, you can study taught modules in addition to your research if they are useful for your training and are approved by your supervisor. 

Studying modules without assessment (auditing)

If you want to improve your background knowledge in a certain area, you can attend lectures or seminars from relevant taught modules without completing coursework or examinations. This is called auditing a module. As part of your training plan, please discuss any training needs with your supervisor, who may also suggest suitable modules. Your Graduate School can advise on availability and arrange access to the module. 

Studying modules with assessment

Modules are normally taken during the first year of full-time study or the first and second year of part-time study. Your first commitment should always be your research project so make sure you don’t take on too much additional work. 

If you want to take an assessed taught module speak with your Graduate School. They will advise on availability and help you complete a module enrolment form. The form should be signed by your Director of Postgraduate Research Studies (DPGRS) before it is processed by the Doctoral College Operations team. Please be aware that a fee could be charged. 

You can take part in undergraduate modules and taught postgraduate modules

Research programmes with taught content

Some research programmes have compulsory taught elements. For instance, 1+3 programmes incorporate a masters level in the first year and are followed by three years of research study. PhD programmes in LUBS often include compulsory taught content in the first year and may include modules in subsequent years. For more information, please see the Training and development page on the LUBS website

If you are registered on a programme with compulsory taught content, your Graduate School will tell you everything you need to know about the modules and how to access the teaching.