Change of module

Once you have started your studies, you may decide you wish to change one or more of the modules you've registered for and there is a process to do this. 

Whilst online module enrolment is open you will be able to amend your choices through Student Services. If you are considering any changes after online module enrolment has closed, you will need to complete a change of module form. The change has to be approved by the teaching school(s) of the new and old module, along with your parent school. The change will only be authorised when all schools agree. Please note that for Incoming Study Abroad students the module change process is different. If you wish to change modules you will need to contact the Study Abroad Coordinator in the relevant school. Guidance on changing modules for Incoming Study Abroad students can be found here.

Whether or not you are permitted to change modules is likely to depend on a number of factors including: 

  • a satisfactory attendance record 

  • whether the proposed change is permitted according to your programme rules 

  • any pre- or co-requisites for the proposed new module 

  • capacity in the proposed new module 

  • timetable considerations  


Many schools do not accept module changes after the end of the second week of teaching in the relevant semester. If you are considering enrolling on a module after this date, please check for specific school deadlines. You should raise any queries with your parent school.  You cannot change your modules after the fourth week of teaching in the relevant semester (or earlier if the teaching school has a shorter deadline), unless there are exceptional circumstances, and a £50 administration fee will apply.  


Major Changes  

If the changes are major and certainly if the changes involve a transfer to another programme, then your parent school would have to seek the permission of the relevant committee.  

It is important that all changes are made as soon as possible to minimise missed teaching. For changes affecting semester 1, this should be as soon as possible at the start of the academic year. For changes affecting semester 2, changes should be made as soon as possible after the conclusion of the semester 1 examination period as semester 2 teaching begins immediately after these examinations finish. 

If the changes are major or you miss a substantial amount of teaching, you may have to withdraw for the remainder of the session and rejoin the new programme at a convenient point during the following session. You may need to complete a leavers form which could have implications for the payment of student loans, grants and fees for sponsored students.