Specialist Support for Learning Differences

Please note this support is for students studying on Lifelong Learning Centre programmes only. If you are student studying elsewhere please contact Disability Services.

Chris Adams is a specialist in Specific Learning Differences (SpLD) and can answer questions about whether you should take an assessment or what to do if you already have one. Have a look here to find out what Chris can do for you and what we can offer.

You can contact him by email or call him on 0775 327 7243 or 0113 343 3212. Chris works on Monday, Tuesday and Friday.


Q: What is a Specific Learning Difference (SpLD)?

SpLDs include differences such as Dyslexia, Dyspraxia and ADHD. It is believed that approximately 1 in 10 of the population are affected. SpLDs can be characterised by a poor short term memory, difficulty with time management, slow reading/writing, clumsiness, and challenges when organising and sequencing thoughts and ideas. Learners with SpLDs can, and do, thrive at University, making very capable students. 

Q: What sort of support can I get if I have a Specific Learning Difference (SpLD)?

There is a wide range of support available, with the exact package based upon the evidence you provide. Support can include: extra time in exams, flexibility around deadlines, marking consideration, access to (and advice on) Assistive Technology, and support via the Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA)

Q: How do I set up my support if I have evidence that I have a SpLD?

If you have evidence such as an Educational Psychologist’s report or Form 8 from school or college, please send it to Disability Services by using this sign up form.

They will check your evidence and contact you with advice on what to do next.

Q: I think I might have a SpLD but don’t have any evidence. What do I do?

Contact Chris to arrange a chat. An initial informal meeting will look into whether it might be beneficial to investigate this further. Chris will run through some options with you regarding further assessment of your needs

Q: Can someone help me develop SpLD study strategies whilst I sort out all my paperwork? 

Yes, you can arrange to see Chris for some specialist one to one teaching. Depending on the evidence you initially present, coupled with other bureaucracy, it can take some time to put a long term support package in place. Therefore, you are welcome to book tutorial sessions at any stage of your application for SpLD support.   

Q: How do I declare a Disability to the University?

Please make yourself known to Disability Services by using the sign up form and providing medical evidence.    
Disability Services will contact you to advise you the support options available to you including applying for Disabled Students Allowance (DSA). Here is some more information about the support available from Disability Services.