How to register in September
Most of our students register in September. To guide you through this process, weve provided details on what you need to do, key dates, locations and who to contact if you need help.
The registration process
You'll need to register at the start of every academic year. There are two parts to the process:
- Part A - online registration (this is for new and returning students)
- Part B - identity checks and collecting documents (for all new students - including graduates from the University who have come through our admissions process to start a new course)
Please read what you will need register before you begin the process as not having the correct documents may delay your registration.
If you are a taught postgraduate or an undergraduate who completed their qualifications before this year, it is likely that your offer letter will ask you to show the originals or certified copies of your required qualifications before you start registration. This is different to the scans you will have uploaded for your application. Details of where to take these are here.
When to register
Part A, online registration, can be completed from the following dates:
- All returning taught students (undergraduate and postgraduate): 1 August 2017
- New UK taught postgraduate students: 1 August 2017
- New incoming study abroad/exchange students: 1 August 2017
- New UK undergraduate students: 30 August 2017
- Research students: one month before your official start/anniversary of start date
- International students (not study abroad/exchange): you must wait to register after you arrive (from the dates above).
Part B, identity checks and collecting documents can be completed on weekdays on campus. Read the Part B section below for more information about where to go.
All students starting a course in September are expected to complete registration by 6 October 2017. Students who have not fully registered by this date due to delays in documentation or fee payment must as priority discuss their next steps with the relevant department (see contact details below in Where To Get Further Help) and must have an agreed plan of action with this department. After 20 October 2017, non-registered September start students will standardly be withdrawn from their course due to failure to register.
If you're an international student you'll need to attend your welcome talk and collect your welcome pack before you start registration. To find out how to register outside of these dates read our page on how to register outside of September.
Part A: the online registration stepsYou'll need to log in to minerva.leeds.ac.uk using your IT username and password.
- New students: visit mypassword.leeds.ac.uk to get your username and password. You'll need to enter your student ID number and date of birth.
- Returning students: If youve forgotten your password, please reset your password.
You will see a page called Registration Certificate at the end. New students in particular should save this as you'll be asked if you have an electronic or printed copy at your identity check.
Part B: identity checks and collecting your student ID card
New students starting their course in or after September 2017 will need to have an identity check to be fully registered. Please note, this is a separate process from a qualifications check. A small number of students may not need this due to the type of course they are on, however every new student with a Student Loan needs to have this identity check for us to be able to confirm your attendance and registration at the University to the Student Loans Company. You can then collect your student ID card in the same location once youve had an identity check. If you need to collect a BRP at the University, this happens in the same location.
For the identity check, you will need:
- UK students passport and "registration certificate" page of online registration*
- EEA students passport/national identity card and "registration certificate" page of online registration*
- International students (from September 2017) - passport and immigration permission documents, BRP certificate/BRP collection email (if needed) and "registration certificate" page of online registration*
You can find out more about the above documents on our what you'll need to register page.
*If you haven't been able to complete online registration and are waiting on other processes to complete this, you can usually still complete the identity check and collect an ID card. You just need the identification documents above and your nine digit student ID number (instead of your "registration certificate" page). You will be issued with a reminder that you have not yet completed full registration as part of the identity check if you do this.
Take these documents on a weekday to:
- Thursday 07 September to Wednesday 27 September 2017: All students go to the Great Hall, weekdays from 9am to 5pm (the Welcome Team will guide you).
- Thursday 28 September to Friday 06 October 2017
UK/EEA students: Interview Room 3, Level 9 Marjorie and Arnold Ziff Building (standard queue outside the room)
International students: Time slot tickets at foyer, front entrance Marjorie and Arnold Ziff Building (manual time slot tickets issued). Appointments in 12.07 Marjorie and Arnold Ziff Building, use lift in front foyer next to toilets. This is the same place/system where BRP collection will take place.
- From Monday 09 October 2017: please check our Registering Outside September pages.
You can apply for your student ID card and verify your identity online if you are not on campus to complete your course or if you cant complete the process in person for any reason.
After you've registered
Your parent school will invite you to attend induction sessions that will give you more information about your course. You'll also have the opportunity to meet your tutors and find out more about the facilities and resources available. Take a look at our arrival pages to find out more about starting life as a student in Leeds.
Common problems during registration
- If you receive an error message when retrieving your username and password, check that you are:
- a new student, and don't already have a username and password
- entering a nine digit number for your username
- entering your date of birth in the requested format
- not trying to collect your username and password before the date shown on the page
- have accepted your offer to study at the University of Leeds on your admissions portal
- If youre a UK or EU student who is expecting a student loan to pay for your fees, this must be approved by the Student Loans Company before it is linked to your university file. Your student loan will be released after you have completed all of the registration process. It will not be released if you have deferred registration.
- If your loan is for postgraduate study, youll need to set up an instalment plan to pay your tuition fees before you will be able to register. Visit the student ID card page for information about the card.
If you need help during the online registration process, click on HELP in the top right hand corner of the screen.
If you cant complete registration because of issues relating to your fee payment, you can contact the Student Fees team (contact details are below)
Where to get further help
- For further help and advice on the registration process you can contact our Registration Helpline. Email email@example.com or telephone 0800 9150402 (within UK) or +44 113 343 7000 (outside UK).
- Fees: firstname.lastname@example.org or 0113 343 6700
- Funding (UK students): email@example.com or 0113 343 2007
- Accommodation: firstname.lastname@example.org or 0113 343 7777
- Academic verification documents: please contact your school (subject department)
- International students can visit the International Student Information Point from 9-22 September 2017 (including weekends) in the Michael Sadler building. Outside these times, visit the International Student Office.
You can also contact the following teams for specific issues you may be facing: