Disabled international students

The University welcomes disabled international students. Our Disability team can support you to make the most of your time in Leeds. 

Welcome to our University

Disability Services is here is to make sure that disabled students like you have full and equal access to their studies. We do this by recommending academic adjustments for your course. As a disabled international student, you are entitled to receive support from our Service and we strongly encourage you to apply. 

What does “disabled” mean?

The term “disabled” in the UK Is a broad one and covers a variety of conditions, illnesses and impairments. You may not have previously considered yourself disabled in your home country but if you feel that your condition may affect your learning at Leeds, you may be able to access support from us. 

Visit our support page to find out more.

Applying for support

Once you have your offer from Leeds, you must register with Disability Services to access support. Visit our sign-up page to find out more.

Available support

Disabled international students can receive a range of support in their learning. The kind of support you will receive is based on your disability and your needs.  

You can find out more about the assistance you may be able to access here.


Disabled students can sometimes access extra funded support, such as specialist equipment or one-to-one help. As an international student, you should talk to your sponsor about extra funding for these items. If you do not have a sponsor, please speak to us when you apply as Disability Services about support that may be available.

Likely costs

These are the approximate government allowances for undergraduate UK disabled students. You and your sponsor may use them as a guide to calculate the amount of disability-related financial assistance you might require: 

  • equipment per course: £5,000 
  • non-medical helpers per year: £20,000 
  • general allowance per year: £1,700

Financial help

Other sources of funding available for you as an international disabled student are: 

Disabled Students Access Fund

The access fund provides a one-off financial support for activities where no other funding is available, up to a total of £100. You can find out more about the fund here.

Support with day-to-day living

In addition to academic support, you'll need to think about the informal support you usually receive from friends and family, and who will provide this for you when you come to Leeds. We’re unable to provide support with daily living tasks so think carefully about any non-academic, disability-related support needs you may have, such as: 

  • shopping 
  • cooking 
  • cleaning 
  • laundry 
  • personal care 

Disability Services can give you information about agencies that provide care assistants but you will have to pay for this yourself. Support with day-to-day living can be very expensive. 

Medical care

You may qualify for NHS treatment if your course lasts more than six months. If you're on a course which is shorter than six months, and unless your country has a reciprocal healthcare agreement with England, you will be seen as a private fee-paying patient. 

Leeds Student Medical Practice is accessible to disabled people and offers key documents in: 

  • Chinese 
  • Japanese 
  • Greek 
  • Arabic 
  • Spanish