Check you are eligible
There are a number of steps you need to go through to make sure you can graduate from the University, whether you are attending a ceremony or not.
Check your certificate details
Please make sure that we have your correct legal name so that your degree certificate will be accurate.
Your correct legal name
The full legal name that the University has on record will appear on your degree certificate. Once you have received your certificate, we won't be able to make any changes to it. We recommend that the name on your degree certificate matches other legal documents such as your passport, birth certificate and driving licence.
How to change your legal name on the University system
To change your legal name on the University system, please email the Student Services Centre with a scanned copy of proof of your legal name. Alternatively, you can take this proof in person to the Student Services Counter.
If you need to change your legal name, you'll need to do it before you complete your studies.
Check your degree award
If you're awarded your degree, your name will appear on the main pass lists on the Portal on the award release date.
Please visit the Portal to check that you have been officially awarded a degree.
If you fail your course, unfortunately we will have to withdraw your invitation to attend a degree ceremony.
Appealing your classification
If you are planning to appeal your classification, or are already in the process of appealing, you can't receive your degree either at a ceremony or in your absence. If you attend a ceremony or allow us to post your certificate to you, your appeal will be void.
Please contact us if you intend to appeal your results, so that we can make sure that your certificate is not posted to you.
Confirm your graduation choice
Please let us know if you would like to join us for your graduation ceremony by registering on our online graduation registration system.
You must actively register your decision to attend or you might not be allowed to take part in the ceremony.
If you don't let us know, you will automatically graduate in absentia (in your absence) and we will post your certificate to you.
There is no charge for attending a graduation ceremony. The only compulsory cost is for gown hire.
Our online graduation registration system opens twice a year:
- Registration for July graduations opens at the beginning of May.
- Registration for December graduations opens at the beginning of October.
If you want to attend your ceremony, register your choice in the Portal and you'll receive a confirmation email.
How to register
Here's a step-by-step guide to logging on and registering your graduation choice, or viewing your ticket allocation.
- Log in to the Portal using your IT username and password. This will take you to either into the Student Portal (blue) or the Graduate Portal (red).
- Choose the "Academic Admin" tab if you are a student portal user; choose the "Careers" tabs if you are a graduate portal user.
- Click Log me into Student Services.
- Click the Registration & Student Records tab.
- Click the Graduation Ceremony link at the bottom of the page.
- Click the ceremony number to proceed (even if you are registering to have the documents posted).
- You'll now have some choices about the ceremony and you'll need to confirm your personal details.
- Receive a confirmation email if you have registered to attend with details how to order you gown.
If you don't let us know, you will automatically graduate in absentia (in your absence) and we will post your certificate to you. There may be a delay in sending the certificate unless you actively register to have it posted to you via the Portal.
Order your gown
A further email with the gown hire code will be sent to you after you have registered a choice. You will need to use this code when ordering your academic gown from Ede and Ravenscroft.
Fulfil your financial obligations
It's important to make sure that your tuition fees are all paid up so you can attend your ceremony and receive your certificate.
Try and keep on top of other unpaid debts. Outstanding accommodation or exams costs could result in legal proceedings.
Once your tuition fees have been paid, it can take up to three weeks to produce your certificate.
How to check outstanding fees and make payments
- Log into the Portal: Portal login
- Select the "Academic Admin" tab
- Select Log me into Student Services
- Select Finance
- Select Payments
- Select Make Online Payment
- Select View Account Summary to see your balance
- If applicable, select Make Payment and pay by credit/debit card.
For further information, please contact the Fees team.
Further help and advice
If you have any queries or problems, please email the graduation team.