Study abroad agreement
This agreement explains the actions and responsibilities you, your school and the Study Abroad office agree to.
Make sure you understand, and are happy to do, everything in it.
The agreement applies to students going abroad on an exchange organised by the Study Abroad office.
- regularly check your University of Leeds emails during the application process and period abroad
- proactively follow application procedures and adhere to all deadlines
- respond promptly to requests for information and documents
- ensure application forms are completed accurately before submission
- attend briefing sessions and orientations - attendance at the pre-departure conference is compulsory
- use resources available to research accommodation overseas and make the necessary arrangements to secure accommodation
- declare any disabilities or health conditions that may affect your period abroad as early as possible to ensure appropriate assistance is provided
- do sufficient independent research into your host university and ensure the academic subject offerings available will be appropriate to your interests
- ensure you understand the academic requirements of your year abroad before departure
- inform the Study Abroad office of any issues that may affect your application
- obtain documents (ie visas etc) necessary to travel to, and study in, your host country
- complete a pre-departure checklist by the deadline
- keep in touch with the Study Abroad office and your school while you are abroad
- provide feedback on your experience on request
- return end of year paperwork as required by the Study Abroad office
- agree to pay a £100 administration fee if you withdraw after the specified withdrawal deadline.
Study Abroad office responsibilities
- communicate with you via your University of Leeds email address
- provide you with general advice about the application process for your host university
- provide you with relevant information about your host university
- provide practical country-specific advice
- provide general advice on how to find accommodation overseas
- enable you to find out more detailed information about your host university and host country
- hold briefing sessions and orientations
- provide practical support for you while you are abroad.
Your school will:
- advise you on academic matters for your studies both prior to and during your period abroad
- confirm your chosen modules are appropriate during the application period and after registration
- provide academic support while you are abroad
- provide pastoral support, if required, while you are abroad
- provide all details about how your year abroad will be assessed.