How to register in September
Most of our students register in September. To guide you through this process, weve provided details on what you need to do, key dates, locations and who to contact if you need help.
The registration process
You'll need to register at the start of every academic year. There are two parts to the process:
- Part A - online registration (this is for new and returning students)
- Part B - identity checks and collecting documents (all new students)
Please read what you will need to register before you begin the process as not having the correct documents may delay your registration.
When to register
Part A, the online registration, can be completed from the following dates:
- All returning taught students (undergraduate and postgraduate): 1 August 2017
- New UK taught postgraduate students: 1 August 2017
- New incoming study abroad/exchange students: 1 August 2017
- New UK undergraduate students: 30 August 2017
- Research students: one month before your official start/anniversary of start date
- International students (not study abroad/exchange): you must wait to register after you arrive (from the dates above).
Part B, identity checks and collecting documents can be completed after you have completed online registration. On weekdays from 7-22 September 2017, specific locations are open for you to complete this step.
All students starting a course in September are expected to complete registration by 6 October 2017. If you don't, your IT account may be shut down and you may be withdrawn from your course.
If you're an international student you'll need to attend your welcome talk and collect your welcome pack before you start registration.
To find out how to register outside of these dates read our page on how to register outside of September.
Part A: the online registration stepsYou'll need to log in to minerva.leeds.ac.uk using your IT username and password.
- New students: visit mypassword.leeds.ac.uk to get your username and password. You'll need to enter your student ID number and date of birth.
- Returning students: If youve forgotten your password, please reset your password.
New students will be given a registration certificate at the end. Save this as you'll need to show an electronic or printed copy during your identity check.
Part B: identity checks and collecting your student ID card
New students starting their course in or after September 2017 will need to have an identity check to be fully registered. Some students may not need this due to the type of course they are on. You can then collect your student ID card once youve had an identity check.
For the identity check, you will need:
- UK students passport and registration certificate
- EEA students passport/national identity card and registration certificate
- International students (from September 2017) - passport and visa, BRP certificate/BRP collection email (if needed) and registration certificate.
You can find out more about the documents on our what you'll need to register page. Once you have these, take them to:
- The Great Hall - Thursday 7 September 2017 Friday 22 September 2017, weekdays from 9am to 5pm
- The Student Services Centre in the Marjorie & Arnold Ziff Building outside of the dates above. Visit the Student Services Centre page to find how to use the centre's virtual queue management system and opening hours.
You can apply for your student ID card and verify your identity online if you are not on campus to complete your course or if you cant complete the process in person for any reason.
After you've registered
Your parent school will invite you to attend induction sessions that will give you more information about your course. You'll also have the opportunity to meet your tutors and find out more about the facilities and resources available. Take a look at our arrival pages to find out more about starting life as a student in Leeds.
Common problems during registration
- If you receive an error message when retrieving your username and password, check that you are:
- a new student, and don't already have a username and password
- entering a nine digit number for your username
- entering your date of birth in the requested format
- not trying to collect your username and password before the date shown on the page
- have accepted your offer to study at the University of Leeds on your admissions portal
- If youre a UK or EU student who is expecting a student loan to pay for your fees, this must be approved by the Student Loans Company before it is linked to your university file. Your student loan will be released after you have completed all of the registration process. It will not be released if you have deferred registration.
- If your loan is for postgraduate study, youll need to set up an instalment plan to pay your tuition fees before you will be able to register. Visit the student ID card page for information about the card.
If you need help during the online registration process, click on HELP in the top right hand corner of the screen.
If you cant complete registration because of issues relating to your fee payment, you can contact the Student Fees team (contact details are below)
Where to get further help
- For further help and advice on the registration process you can contact our Registration Helpline. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 0800 9150402 (within UK) or +44 113 343 7000 (outside UK).
- Fees: email@example.com or 0113 343 6700
- Funding (UK students): firstname.lastname@example.org or 0113 343 2007
- Accommodation: email@example.com or 0113 343 7777
- Academic verification documents: please contact your school (subject department)
- International students can visit the International Student Information Point from 9-22 September 2017 (including weekends) in the Michael Sadler building. Outside these times, visit the International Student Office.
You can also contact the following teams for specific issues you may be facing: